This article was originally published on 16.03.2023 – and updated on 17.03.2023 and 28.03.2023 (timetables of upcoming activities with the locomotive added; scroll down to see them).
Perhaps you’re already familiar with German freight operator Flex Bahndienstleistungen from the upcoming EuroDual that Railcolor News released in 2022. For its day-to-day activities, the operator from Leipzig has been using a Siemens Smartron locomotive since 2022 – plain blue; Until now.
Behold Smartron 192 059, sporting a new design co-created by Railcolor Design and OnTrack – Creativity for Railways (RailcolorOntrack). Omnimark of the Netherlands and its partners carried out the production and application of the livery.
There are many Smartrons out there. While they look identical upon leaving Siemens Mobility’s factory in München Allach, every loco begins its path and develops its own identity afterwards. Such is the case of Northrail locomotive 192 059, operated by Flex Bahndienstleitungen, just received a custom-created livery wrap yesterday, making it unique.
“We are striving to align our fleet with future tasks and also to modernise it further. This should also be recognisable in the modern outfit of the locomotive” – Kai Anger, Flex Bahndienstleistungen
The veins of the network – two directions and many paths to follow
Flex Bahndienstleitungen is the company of Jan Habraneck and Kai Anger. Titled “Adern des Netzwerks” (or “The veins of the network” in English), the design refers to Flex’s specialisation: high-quality first/last mile operation at local hubs – interconnected by long-distance services.
There are two main directions (shapes) to follow, and each of them is visually represented on the cab ends of the locomotive, splitting into multiple paths as, in the end, the journey of each train is unique.
When it comes to colours, the traffic green colour of Flex serves as a base, complemented by a darker shade of green. The black frame gives a solid structure to the composition.
A particular highlight is a modified version of the Flex logo, which now features a blue lightning element. This serves as a bridge between the traditional colours of the operator and the Capri Blue base colour of the Smartron locomotive. The modified logo was created to make the company’s name easy to read from larger distances.
Get your cameras ready… [updated 17.03.2023]
In collaboration with Flex, Railcolor News will soon bring details on the inaugural run of the Smartron in its new design.
- Sunday 19.03.2023, 16:00 – 02:00: Halle Hbf -> Großkorbetha -> Schweinfurt Hbf (via Jena);
- Monday 20.03.2023, 14:00 – 23:00: Schweinfurt Hbf -> Großkobetha -> Halle Hbf (via Jena);
- Tuesday 21.03.2023, 16:00 – 02:00: Halle Hbf -> Großkorbetha -> Schweinfurt Hbf (über Jena);
- Wednesday 22.03.2023, 15:00 – 01:00: Schweinfurt Hbf -> Großkobetha -> Schweinfurt Hbf (via Jena);
- Thursday 23.03.2023, 15:00 – 01:00: Schweinfurt Hbf -> Großkobetha -> Schweinfurt Hbf (via Jena);
- Friday 24.03.2023, 14:00 – 23:00: Schweinfurt Hbf -> Großkobetha -> Halle Hbf (über Jena).
More photo tips from FLEX [updated 28.03.2023] :
- Tuesday 28.03.2023, 16.00: Schweinfurt – Großkorbetha – Schweinfurt;
- Wednesday 29.03.2023, 15.00: Schweinfurt – Großkorbetha – Schweinfurt;
- Thursday 30.03.2023, 14.00: Schweinfurt – Großkorbetha – Halle.
Feel free to share your pictures with us, and we will make sure more people see them.
About Smartron 192 059
192 059 is part of Northrail (Paribus)’s growing fleet of Capri Blue locomotives from Siemens.
- EVN number: 91 80 6192 059-4 D-NRAIL;
- Year built: 2021;
- Factory number: 22905 (Vectron number: 1065);
- Acceptance date: MMAL 21.12.21.
Based in Leipzig, Flex Bahndienstleistungen provides nationwide freight rail services, personnel leasing, and last-mile sidings and terminal operations. Flex currently leases Northrail Smartron locomotive 192 059, Alpha Trains 223 062, Beacon Rail ER20-011, SRI 145 088, and uses former DB-class 151 electrics and V60/V90 shunting locomotives. More locomotives are expected to follow in the new livery design – the EuroDual is one of them.
The “Vains of the Network” Smartron is a project by OnTrack and Railcolor for Flex Bahndienstleistungen.
Design concept and project management by: