ÖBB (Austrian Federal Railways) is calling up eleven trains from the existing framework contract for 200 Desiro ML trains from Siemens Mobility, thereby completing the contract. The extra trains will be delivered by the end of 2021.
- It is the fourth order under the frame contract from 2015, 101+64+24+11 amounts to 200;
- The eleven new ones will be equipped with the European Train Control System (ETCS);
- All ÖBB Desiro MLs will be equipped with ETCS by the end of 2023;
- The entry areas of the new Desiro ML ÖBB Cityjets will be further optimized to ease the flow of passengers at stations of Vienna’s S-Bahn network;
- The eleven newly ordered trains, like the 24 Desiro ML trains ordered in March 2019, are equipped for converting to battery hybrid technology.
Desiro ML is 75 meters long has a top speed of up to 160 km/h. ÖBB has two main versions: series 4744 for regional services and series 4746 for S-Bahn duty. Both are branded ‘Cityjet’.