As of today, people taking the S-Bahn in Hamburg may travel with the newest generation of EMUs on the network. The first ET 490 was seen in test passenger service today, on line S21.
ET490 for the S-Bahn Hamburg:
- 2012: sixty 3-car trains are ordered by Deutsche Bahn:
- 31 x single system: 1200V DC – 0490.0 / 1490.0 / 0490.5
- 29 x two-system: 1200 V DC + 15kV 16 2/3 Hz AC – 0490.1 / 1490.1 / 0490.6
- 2016: 12 additional single system sets are being order by the city of Hamburg
- extra orders must be placed before the end of 2018