VR has ten Vectron delivered yet. Some are still in test services. Valtion Rautatiet (Finnish Railway) started a first customer service from Äänekoski, where Vectron in diesel operation can be seen, to the port of Vuosaari near Helsinki.
By P. Trippi, reports from Finland. All photos by author.
The advanced features of the new Sr3 locomotives are utilised when transporting pulp from Metsä Group’s bioproduct mill in Äänekoski to Vuosaari on the line through Laukaa – Jyväskylä – Muurame – Orivesi – Tampere – Toijala – Riihimäki – Kerava. The bio product mill transports 800,000 tonnes of pulp per year by rail to Vuosaari Harbour and from there by ship to export.
According to Petri Auno, Senior Vice President / Train Operations at VR Group, the Vectrons are undergoing an extensive and thorough testing program. On a recent travel around Finland Vectrons were seen parked at Oulu and Seinäjoki. Another unknown Vectron was seen in electric/software tests in combination with a Sr2/Intercity push-pull train consist at Ilmala Depot on 26.9.2017. So far Vectron isn’t yet in regular passenger operation.
VR Group has ordered a total of 80 new, efficient and energy-conserving locomotives from Siemens. The value of the transaction is more than 300 million euros. This locomotive procurement transaction is part of a series of major rolling stock investments by VR Group. The batch production of the locomotives will begin in summer 2018 and the full batch will be delivered by 2026. They are replacing the aging Sr1 electric and many of the line operating Dv12 diesel engines.
List of the first 10 Vectron locomotives for VR Group:
- Siemens 21966 = VR Group 3301 / To Finland in July 2016
- Siemens 21967 = VR Group 3302 / January 2016
- Siemens 21968 = VR Group 3303 / May 2016
- Siemens 21969 = VR Group 3304 / May 2016
- Siemens 22031 = VR Group 3305 / unknown
- Siemens 22077 = VR Group 3306 / April 2017
- Siemens 22078 = VR Group 3307 / April 2017
- Siemens 22079 = VR Group 3308 / April 2017
- Siemens 22080 = VR Group 3309 / May 2017
- Siemens 22081 = VR Group 3310 / May 2017
Read more about the VR Vectron locomotives on Railcolor.net