DB Regio has closed two deals with Alstom in Germany for the delivery of Coradia Continental EMUs. In 2020, the manufacturer will start the delivery of 27 4-car trains for S-Bahn services in Nürnberg. Additionally, 26 3/5-car trains will be built for regional services in Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz. Both orders are part of a frame contract concluded between the Deutsche Bahn and Alstom in 2012 for the delivery of up to 400 Coradia Continental trains.
After National Express decided to withdraw from competition, DB Regio is now the future operator of the S-Bahn Nürnberg. The new contract will start in December 2018. Contract duration is 12 year. The 27 Coradia Continental trains will be operated on the lines S3, S4 and S5 but will not arrive before 2020. To bridge the gap, DB Regio will use Talent2 and loco-hauled trains in Nürnberg.
Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz
26 3/5-car trains will be used for other contracts in the Nordrhein-Westfalen and Rheinland-Pfalz. They will have 155/266 seats respectivily.
DB Regio already has 3-, 4-, and 5-car train in its fleet. 80 units have the old front design. The 28 sets used for the S-Bahn Rhein-Ruhr and 53 newly ordered trains feature the new front design:
- E-Netz Augsburg: 37x 4-car train (440.0)
- Würzburg: 5x 4-car train (440.0) and 26 3-car train (440.3)
- Passau: 6x 4-car 440.0 and 6x 5-car 440.2
- S-Bahn Rhein-Ruhr: updated front design: 28x 1440.3
- new: S-Bahn Nürnberg: updated front design: 27x 4-car
- new: Nordrhein-Westfalen / Rheinland-Pfalz: 26x 3-car/5-car